Blogger Tricks

Widget

Friday, May 27, 2011

Doubt

Don't really have anything profound to say today but I was thinking about a monologue I did in the play Doubt...I played Father Flynn and I always loved this monologue.

Father Flynn: What do you do when you're not sure? That's the topic of my sermon today. You look for God's direction but you can't find it. Last year when President Kennedy was assassinated who among is didn't experience the profound disorientation, despair? "What now?" "What do I do?" "What do tell my children?" "What do I tell myself?" It was a time of people sitting together, bound together by a common feeling of hopelessness. Think of that, your bond with your fellow human beings was your despair. It was public experience shared by everyone in our society. It was awful but we were in it together. How much worse is it for the lone male, lone female suffering from a private calamity. "No one knows I'm sick." "No one knows I've lost my last real friend." "No one knows I've done something wrong." Imagine the isolation. You see the world as through a window, on one side of the glass happy, untroubled people on the other side you. Something has happened and you have to carry that. For those so afflicted, only God knows their pain, their secret. And when such a person as one does turns to the heavens and cries "Help me!" What if there is no answer? Silence. For those of you in Church today who know the crisis of faith I described, I have this to say to you. Doubt can be a bond as powerful and sustaining as certainty, when you are lost...you are not alone.

0 komentar:

Blogger Themes